Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The .300 is one of those rounds that are worth pursuing because it comes in some nice rifles, but otherwise is out-classed by the competition.

The 99s were simply too expensive to make, and there are literally millions of used ones out there to fill the demand that exists. Brownings chambered for various good cartridges and .308 Marlins are also available for levergun fans who want more power than the .30/30 packs.

Personally, if I were looking for a non-bolt woods gun, I'd probably pick up a decent used Remmy Model Six or 7600, with the straight-comb stock if possible. See 'em pretty often for $350-$475.

I currently have a couple dozen rifles chambered in 300 Savage, but shoot none of them regularly.

I currently have a quite a few Savage 1899/99 rifles, but shoot none of them regularly.

I currently have five Remington 760/7600 rifles in 6.5x55, 270x2, and 30-06x2. In terms of stock ergs, I like the monte-carlo style 760 BDL stocks with the basket-weave style "checkering" and the raised cheek-piece that were cataloged from 1966 thru 1980.

I hope it's the ergos and not the looks; those puppies had some serious oogly goin' on! smile

The stepped receiver was kinda cool though.

Someday I'm going to have to pick up a 6 or 7600, just because. Maybe something rubbed off on me while I was hunting in PA for all those years. I think pumps got a bad rap about reliability because so many guys put them away dirty.

What fresh Hell is this?