I cut my teeth on a 4" Model 34, the carbon-steel sister to the Model 63, and made some superb shots plinking and on small game with it while I was a kid. J-frame Smith 22's are extremely precise little handguns, with emphasis on "little." I have medium-sized hands, but I find them hard to shoot well because they're so small. I much prefer a K-frame, but I consider the J-frames to be their near-equals in terms of accuracy.

If you really want an oddball, check out the S&W Model 35. It's basically a Model 34 with a 6" barrel. I had one for a few months. It shot like a K-frame because of the long barrel and sight radius, but the frame was too small for me to do my best work, even with oversized grips--the hammer and trigger were just too close together for comfort.

As with any 22, you'll have to find the load your weapon shoots best, and as with any S&W, you'll have to keep the chambers and extractor star clean. Don't scrub the bore--they never really get dirty.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.