Originally Posted by crossfireoops
John, I remember your speaking fondly about this fellow, and
know you'll miss him.
Grieve him well, and comfort his family.
RIP, Charlie

GTC

Agreed. From all accounts here and in the media, C-4 was a fine man, an achiever and a great loss to the country.

Quite apart from that, and nothing to do with him, he came from a rich family. His grandfather, Charles, Jr., lives on in infamy as a thorough crook for looting the Lincoln Savings & Loan empire for grandiose personal benefit. He did this through scams that cost many families and the government huge losses.

Indeed, his big name law firm, Jones Day, which assisted him by issuing legal opinions that were unfounded, cost me and the entire legal profession even more when they were found out. Overnight, our malpractice insurance rates for every lawyer in the country went up 50 percent, per a report in The Wall Street Journal. So I do not remember him fondly.

By coincidence, I knew many members of that law firm and actually met the writer of the legal opinions. He had been sent out to run the Tokyo branch. My guess is that they wanted him out of the country, so he would be unavailable to give evidence. People do that. grin

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).