First there are the standard considerations regarding where you camp, as follows;

Find a flat spot for the tent, within a 1/4 mile of a clean water source with something to protect your tent from the wind and hopefully conceal your camp, not in a flood plain and with some readily available firewood. Groves of mixed aspen and evergreens often provide all these desirable elements.

Then I make considerations for hunting;

I like to set my camp within a mile of, and downwind from, where I think the elk are hiding and/or where I want to hunt. If I can, I like to hunt uphill, so that I can haul the elk down to my camp instead up to my camp. This arrangement is also often favored by morning winds which blow uphill more often than downhill. I look for isolated water sources and/or isolated food source. Oozing seeps seem to grow green grass after everything else has turned dormant for the winter. An isolated spring, maybe the highest point where a creek first seeps out of the ground, is a good place to setup in the afternoon and wait to see what comes to drink.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.