I just got back from a rock chuck safari in Southern Idaho and had a blast. My buddy and I ended up with 26 on the first day and about 11-12 the second day due to the high winds that popped up. High winds are common in this area.

We were using .223, 22.250 and a .204 for the centerfires and tricked out 10/22's for the close shots. We had a large portion of the .22lr kills in the 30-70 yard range with the Winchester Xpert ammo with that large hollow point. We definitely shot some "book" rocks and put them down with one shot using that ammo.

The fun and the games as well as the acrobatics comes with those hot stepping centerfires with one guy on the gun and the other guy on the spotting scope. If the recoil would pull our eyes off the target you didn't have to ask the spotter if it was a hit.....his laughter was the answer.

We actually ran into two farmers who ASKED us to shoot some rock chucks in rock piles bordering their hay fields. One farmer guessed that those critters had already consumed about $1100 in hay this early. We did our best and reported back to him of 11 kills off one large rock pile.

Lots of grins.