Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Brad,

I have in my posession a Montaa that had a a lot of material removed to fit a larger barrel, the barrel channel went all the way through, the length of the stock. The stock is still stiff as a board. I'm not a structural engineer, but fairly certain that's not possible with a true structure.

Perhaps your sources are misinformed.

David

David, I think you're misunderstanding.

I'm agreeing with Jeff that the stock is indeed of monocoque construction as it leaves the plant in Costa Rica. You were disagreeing with that statement, at least in terms of how I understand the English language.

Beyond that, I'm not debating anything. I've never opened one up, though I don't see why it would hurt as long as the barrel channel is re-glassed.

Brad,

Someone may be calling it a moncoque structure, but it is not. A stressed skin / semi-monocoque, no problem. Certainly I believe that disrupting outer skin structure in places will have negative impacts on strength/rigidity. Opening the barrel channel does not, hence by my understanding it cannot be considered a true monocoque structure. Certainly in the context that Jeff was referring to, that the barrel channel cannot be opened up because it's a monocoque structure.

Pics, in case someone wants to see:

Factory barrel compared to my Hart barrel:

[Linked Image]

Generous free float:

[Linked Image]

David