As someone who is just getting into reloading for my Tikka T3 6.5x55, I am hoping you can give me some insight into a couple questions:

I have some berger 140 VLD loads that were worked up by Copper Creek at 3.138 OAL. They are accurate but the velocity is a little low (2525) which is why I have decided to begin reloading myself.

The published OAL is 3.15"

I purchased a Frankford Arsenal OAL kit and got an OAL of 3.126 with the bullet touching the rifling. I then bought more sturdy rod stops since the franklin ones are not the strongest/most sturdy and measured again...very consistent @ 3.128.

The Copper creek ammo does not show any pressure signs but appears to be loaded a little conservatively based on the velocity.

When closing the bolt there is a some tension but the bullets do not show signs of the rifling digging in. There is just a faint a line that shows up in the brass on the shoulder if I fully chamber a round....snug but not excessive. No issues ejecting the rounds (either fired or unfired). After firing the rounds, about 1/3 of them have a small ding.dent right on the shoulder (see pic on next post)

1) What are the odds of having a rifle with the OAL below the published OAL. I am simply questioning myself as I am new at this and want to make sure I am not doing something wrong.

2) What would cause the small ding/dent on roughly 1/3 of the fired brass?

Last edited by SwedeEmotion; 05/16/16.