Originally Posted by dave284
Picked up my Whittakers 452 Tuesday and didn't have a chance to mess with it till late this evening. The only scope I had setting around is an old Trashco 4 - 16 that has been used to evaluate many rimfires over the years, so I stuck it on there real quick. No time to play with the trigger or any bedding. Just run a couple dry patches down the barrel and commenced to shooting with some Norma match that three of my other rifle don't like.

The first five shots at around 25 yards to confirm that I should be on paper went into about a 1/4". I moved the target to +/- 50 yards and went to shooting again. I didn't take time to range it because it was already getting dark. The first five at 50, I couldn't tell where it was hitting, turns out they were low left and hitting in with another group from a different rifle on a different day.

A scope adjustment and another 5 shots produced about a 3/4" group. The next three 5 shot groups all had one called flyer. The biggest group of the three was around 5/8" and the other 2 right on 1/2" measured with a ruler. Both of the 1/2" groups had 4 shots each into almost a 1/4". By then dark was upon me so I quit.

Afterwards I did check a few things. The very end of the forearm does touch the stock. Inserting a dollar bill right behind that shows that it is free floating back to the action. Folding the dollar bill double it will insert into the barrel channel on the right side but will not come through on the left.

Three pulls with my Lyman trigger pull gauge broke at 3 1/2, 3 3/4 and 3 3/4 lbs. There is a fair amount of creep in the trigger.

A little bedding, a little trigger work, a good mount and scope and I may have a pretty good little rifle.

Thanks SAS.

Dave.

Dave, I'm thinkin you're darn sure gonna have a nice little rifle.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH