I'm headed on a back-back elk hunt this fall. WY in the second week October (10/15 to 10/21) followed by second season in CO (10/22 to 10/28). Looks like I'm setting a base camp and dayhunting in WY but we will be packing in 3-4 miles in CO.

I've used a North Face Snow Shoe 0 degree bag for the past 10 years or so. It has lost some of its warmth or I'm getting older and sleep 'colder'. It has been a great bag. I’ll use it in WY. My issue with it pertains to packing it in my backpack - it compresses but still takes up quite a bit of space in the pack. I’ve thought about not using the compression sack on my bag and simply stuffing it in the pack to let it fill nooks and crannies it normally wouldn’t fill.

I've been leery of down after spending a night in a wet down bag ~ 10-12 years ago in early fall. Temps weren't all that cold (~ 40) but I was not warm. I'm cautious about the new treated down that gives it some degree of water resistance.

I've hunted in below zero temps in second season CO several times in the past 10 years so always lean toward a zero degree bag. I have a 35 degree bag that compresses nicely but am leery about taking it simply because it fits in my pack nice.

What are you guys using for mid-late October elk backpack hunting?

Last edited by bwinters; 05/21/16.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.