Originally Posted by Owl
When my children were young, Sunday was family day.

We went to our church services in the morning. Wife would cook a pot roast, mashed potatoes, and all of the trimmings for a lunch/dinner meal at 1:00-2:00pm.

While the wife was preparing our meal, we would play games like Uno, Go Fish, or what ever the kids were in the mood for.

After dinner, we would get out the Disney classics. Pollyanna, Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson, That Darn Cat, The Ugly Dachshund, and many others.

Now that I have grandchildren, I do the same thing when they come over. We play Go Fish and Slap Jack. The oldest (almost 4) absolutely loves anything with animals. Especially horses. So when it's movie time, out comes Disney.

Old Yeller, Spirit, The Shaggy Dog, and the list goes on.

She sits next to me and about every 10 minutes she'll say "Papa?" I'll respond "Yes" She replies "Thank you for watching the movies with me. You're my best friend. I love you so much."

Melts my heart.

However you choose to spend quality time with your family, do it often. Cherish the moments because one day they'll be grown and gone from your everyday life.

Jeff

This is just..great and very true! I'm not a game player but for my grandchildren-both of them-I'll do most anything and regret I wasn't more of an involved father earlier for my two daughters.

edit: as to the movies, there are a lot of the great ones mentioned here, just classics, funny, and tear makers too.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 05/22/16.