I just got a couple of boxes of 154 grain spire points to play with and pulled out the new Hornady manual (9th Edition) for reference. On page 333, the introduction to the 7x57 data states, "We developed data in the strong, modern Winchester Model 70. This data should not be used in the older Mauser Model 93 or 95 and should be approached cautiously in the Model 98 Mausers." Yet, even with a larger case capacity, the velocities recorded for the suggested loads don't even come close to the 7-08 data. Also, when I sent Hornady a question about the data published in the early manual (I call them the "Seafire Loads"), tech support responded with, "The older manuals have a different burn rate than the newer manuals. I would stick to the newer manuals as the powders have changed."

So basically, what Hornady is saying is, Even in a modern rifle and in spite of its greater case capacity, the 7x57 can't keep up. What the heck is the use of listing the suggested loads as "modern" if they're still watered down for old 93/95 Mausers?

Personally, I still think a "+P" section in the manuals would be helpful.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown