Found a gem (to me at least) in the Cabelas sale rack. A Marlin 1893 .32-40 circa 1900 with the right combination of configuration/caliber/condition/price. I've casually searched for this rifle for years to replicate my Great Grandfathers deer rifle that's been passed around the family for generations (before disappearing with a cousin). My older brother was fortunate enough to take his first deer with that rifle but I was never able to get my mitts on it. This one hasn't been messed with and is all correct except possibly the front sight which is a Lyman bead. The screws are unturned and the slots are filled with old dried grease as is the nooks and crannies of the metal. The interior of the action however is free of gunk and operates crisply. The bore, while not mirror bright, is free from pitting and the rifling sharp. The stock has 116 years of bumps and bangs but no cracks and is proud of the metal. Can't wait to put a few rounds through it but ammo is hard to come by. I do have some HSM cowboy ammo on order but it's back-ordered till the end of the month. How 'bout you guys, ever try to duplicate an ancestors gun?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn