Normally, when I think of elk hunting, it would be in the fall with the bulls bugling and a rifle in my hands.

This weekend, I had a very different "elk hunt".

The Keystone Country Elk Alliance (KECA), in conjunction with the Pa. Game commission, conducts an annual field survey in North Central Pennsylvania to locate and ear tag new born elk calves. The elk are free ranging animals that live in 5 county area, with Benezette, Pa., being the central location. Elk are abundant in that area and are nut hunted during the fall, in this particular area.

The opportunity to join in was afforded by a raffle drawing at each one of 12 fund raising banquets, whereby one winning ticket is drawn and that person is allowed to take one guest. I chose one of my grand daughters.

There were a total of about 35 or 40 of us in attendance, including the winners, guests, KECA personnel and Game Commission representatives.

The activities kicked off Friday evening with a barbecue dinner and a short presentation of what to expect Saturday morning. The Game Commission Biologist explained that we would be looking for single cows in open areas that were reluctant to leave.

He explained that according to previous surveys, that June 3rd and 4th are the highest elk calf birth rate days, which follows a gestation period of 255 days.

We met at 7:00 AM Saturday, and car pooled to a very popular elk sighting area. Sure enough, we saw a lone cow that did not want to leave. We formed a straight line and walked slowly toward the cow, keeping our eyes on the ground. When someone spotted the bedded calf we would form a circle around it just in case it got up to run.

[Linked Image]

The biologist had told us that this method is very effective with calves from one day to 5 days old. After 5 days, the calves will run and no one can catch them.

When the calf is being held, the biologist comes in the do his survey. The animal's eyes are covered and the calf is examined for sex and weight. An ear tag is added to aid in future encounters. New born calves weigh about 35 pounds and gain approximately 2 pounds per day in the first 5 days.

[Linked Image]

We were then allowed to take some pictures. Elk do not have the baby bird syndrome and the mother, who paces back and forth at a distance of 10 to 30 yards during the process will immediately re unite with the calf.

[Linked Image]

This is my grand daughter (on the left) with a friend and the biologist with one of the calves.
[Linked Image]

Over the course of 3 hours and 3 miles, we located 3 new born calves. We say a fourth, but it was a runner.

There were also a couple of unexpected treats when a hen turkey went out right at my feet and when I looked at where she had been nesting, this is what I saw;

[Linked Image]

It was a great weekend and quality time spent in the outdoors with my grand daughter. Those are life long memories.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association