For the record I own Loco Libre Gear (www.locolibregear.com), and am a quilt maker. I really curious how many folks here have tried hammock hanging, which is the best way to use a quilt IMO. I bought a hammock years ago to prove they weren't all that and haven't gone back to the ground since.

That being said, the benefits of a quilt include weight savings and customization. If you will be sleeping on the ground, then extra width is helpful, if not essential. A wide width quilt will still be narrower and lighter than a comparable sleeping bag because you eliminate the zipper and extra fabric and insulation that would normally be compressed under you. Quilts are less restrictive, and don't lay on you like a sleeping bag, but drape over you like your sheets and bed quilt at home,which is much more comfortable. With a quilt you can customize it to your specs, not some manufacturing giants idea of what your sleeping gear should be. If you want a customlength, width or color scheme, no problem.On top of that most quilts are no more expensive,and at times cheaper that some of the high end sleeping bags out there. On top of that your supporting a good old american small business man, not some multinational corporation making and importing your gear from china.

Here's one I did for a Navy vet:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by George_Carr; 06/05/16.

“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” -Francis Chan

Down Quilts : www.locolibregear.com/gear.html
Blog : www.walkingwiththeson.com