Originally Posted by Wyogal
I've taken a couple 200yd+ shots with a 7600, and did OK.
But if you look at how the scope is mounted on a 7600, its not as stable as a bolt action mounted scope. I was told this by a gunsmith, who no, was not trying to sell me another rifle, but who wanted to inform me of the 760/ 7600 limitations. He knew I had other rifles I could use. I just use my 7600 for more close up work, expected hunting less than 200yds.
So just saying.

Well, you'll probably send me a nastygram to go with the others saying you "gunsmith" was full of it or smoking whacky weed but up to a point I'm inclined to agree with them. I worked for an older gunsmith for a bit over three years before he passed away and most of my work had to do with mounting scopes on rifles he built or for customers who wanted to upgrade. Part of my job was to ask sight the rifles in for the customers.
The point made that a scope on a Remington 760/7600 takes a base and four screws or two bases and fours screw vs the Remington M700 also taking bases and four screws is spot on.
Now I'm not gonna say your "gunsmith" is full of prunes just yet. It would go a long way settling that question with a couple of good photos on how that scope set up is mounted. Your choice. A couple of pictures or more badmouthing. Which ever lifts your skirt.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE