Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
In addition to what's been said, extra fine 0000 steel wool works well when you shower it with sparks from a striker.

Jordan;
Top of the morning to you sir, it's been too long since I've said hello and I trust this finds you folks well.

Whenever I'm out in the bush I've got a Light My Fire lighter in my left pants pocket along with a wad of 0000 steel wool and cotton balls - both soaked in petroleum jelly and held in two heavy duty plastic bags.

By way of experimenting with that setup, I've been able to soak it for several minutes under water, then shake it off and use it to start a fire.

That said Jordan, in my pack I've got a selection of matches, a mini torch, fatwood and a magnesium bar type fire starter as well.

I always say if anything happens to me in the bush, unless I'm knocked out they'll find me by the huge fire. wink

All the best to you folks this summer Jordan.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Seems like we're pretty similar when it comes to fire starting. I'm usually carrying more fire starting means that most would find necessary. I find that having 3 methods of starting a fire is foolproof, and redundancy brings security.

Hope all is well with you, too! Have a great summer!

Jordan