Originally Posted by RiverRider
Thanks BSA. I didn't know that could be done without damaging the finish. I've dragged the rifle back out of the safe to look at it with a magnifying glass (which really only reduces my blindness somewhat) and I can see no evidence of the removal. I don't really care...I snagged the rifle to hunt with and that's its best and highest use to me.

One more bit of ignorance purged from the core of my being, and it didn't even hurt. It's been a good day.

I restocked my buddies 308 fwt, it had the front sight sweated off by a previous owner. The finish was worn off near the muzzle, so we decided to re-blue it. Here are some pics of what the barrel looked like before I cold blued it:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's what it looked like after cold bluing:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If an amateur, like myself, can make a barrel look this good, just think what a professional can do. I'm thinking the smith that took your front sight off, knew what he was doing and touched the finish up afterwards. You have a neat old rifle there, hunt it and love it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA