Need some advice from the group on my first custom rifle build. I have a good idea of what I want, but would like some opinions on the best way to go about it. While I do not mind spending money for quality, I would like to avoid spending too much in areas that are not necessary to accomplish my goals for the rifle.

The chambering will be .257 Weatherby Magnum. It will be a carry gun for whitetail and I would like to keep things under 8 pounds scope included. As far as accuracy goes I would like to see 1/2 MOA, 3/4 MOA max.

Here are my thoughts on how to get there. Let me know what you think. Feel free to lambaste me if I'm way off base, I'm a noob and I know it. I wont take offense.

Action- Rem 700 is what I'm thinking because it seems like an easy starting point from what I have read. Couple of questions here. Am I better off buying a naked action or buying a cheaper model 700 complete rifle. If I buy just an action I would have to buy bottom metal and magazine components correct? Regardless of how I acquire the action, I plan to have my smith blueprint it for the sake of accuracy. I like a 2.5 to 3 pound trigger hunting and am not particular about triggers as long as it wont detract from accuracy goals. Would a tuned factory trigger be acceptable or is an aftermarket trigger a must?

Barrel- This would be the first barrel I have ever purchased and I am pretty much clueless here. From what I have read I know I should be getting a 26" to take advantage of the velocity of this cartridge. My initial plan was to take my gunsmiths suggestion on a stainless barrel that will suit my needs. I am thinking fluted to save weight. Gunsmith will be Tim Smith of Warren PA, not sure if anyone here knows of him but he seems to be very knowledgeable and helpful.

Stock- The best fitting gun I have ever picked up is my stock Remington 700 mountain rifle in 7mm-08. I would like to come as close as I can to duplicating this stock, only in synthetic. My thoughts are the McMillan mountain rifle stock in woodland camo. Not sure what fill I need. I know edge fill would be the lightest but I want to make sure I stay fairly balanced, maybe the standard fill would be ok?

Scope/mounts- Talley light weight mounts and Leupold VX3i 3.5-10X40mm is what I plan to use. I hunt mostly woods and have access to only one property where my maximum shot distance would be about 450 yards.

I do reload, and will be posting some questions in the reloading forum as I have never worked with Weatherby cartridges before. All opinions appreciated, let me know if I am on the right track.