Originally Posted by kaboku68
Hap guided in an area that is presently hard park Wrangells. His camp was about 10 miles up glacier from Hubert's Landing. He worked Tittman and Mt. George. Hap had two types of camps. The lounge camp for the well-heeled Hollywood types and a brutish hard "jack" camp where he would toss a client and their guide on a ridge with simple tyvek house sheeting. Many of the big sheep from the Book were either taken by Toney Oney, Hap or Howard Knutson. Jack Wilson would have a hunter or two as well. Hap had a 264 Win Mag model 70 featherweight that was incredibly accurate and travelled around the world taking out altai argali and marco polo argali in Afghanistan. Hap was a heck of a pilot and is still a dentist in California. Hap also guided up Canyon Creek and Hawkins Glacier.
Hap actually took a pretty good ram opposite off that lateral morraine up the West Fork of Barnard. He explained to me that the only way that you could get to the rams is to sneak in from up glacier late in the evenings with headlamps.

It is Hoppy, not Hap. In the time I was guiding for him and the many years since I have never heard anyone refer to him as Hap.

Hoppy moved to Wyoming for a while to do a little cowboying and apparently still does a little dentistry though I cannot imagine how as his hands are about the size caribou shoulders...

One edition of the B&C book Dall sheep included over 25% sheep Hoppy shot, guided to, or witnessed. He and Oney were partners in the Barnard Glacier area but he also hunted sheep out of his Stony River Camp in the AK Range. Rita Oney took an incredible sheep there, also.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.