Well, son and I built my first AR in May, but I went to China a couple of weeks and when I got back, he went. So, it's been a slow go on getting everything all together.

Things I learned (some reflect on my ignorance/oversight/stupidity):
1. torque wrenches/drivers are good when putting on scope mounts.for the first time ever in putting on a mount, I overtightened it and ruined a base. So, I bought a torque driver.

2. I mounted the base with one part on the frame and the other on the handguard originally. I know, dumb. I wasn't paying attention. but it cost me nothing, and as soon as I realized what I had done, I fixed that.

3. I bought an 18in SS 223wylde with a 1:7 rifling. After a few trips to the range, I was exasperated in that at 60 yards my pattern was like 6 inches. thinking I had a bad barrel or the barrel nut is loose. What did I learn?
a. Bulk ammo sucks. it shoots awful in my rifle. I then began using some better ammmo in same weight and it got much better but not good enough. about a 2-3 in group at 60.
b. Heavier bullets are better for a 1:7 twist. Slightly heavier bullets helped. group narrowed to 1.5 inches at 60. I am purchasing some 70 and 77 grain bullets prior to going back to the range.

I am mostly wanting a hog bullet. the 62 gr hog hammers were ok for 50-60 yards, but aren't accurate in my rifle.
So, I ordered:
1. Barnes Vor-tx in 70 grain.
2. Black Hills 77 Grain Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Moly

I will see next week which ones work best.
I assume either of these ought to be fine hog bullets????
New to hog hunting also. Will be going mid-July to a friend's place.

My range day yesterday was frustrating, but I was/am ignorant when it comes to ARs. Hadn't shot them since I was in the army national guard 30 years ago.
But, fortunately, I took along my Savage 22. It put 20 shots in a dot assuring me the AR accuracy wasn't from my poor shooting ability. Still, though, frustrated that I supposedly bought such a good barrel that shot awful. But, I think I;ve figured all that out and will be even better with the new bullets.