http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/3...-glacier-national-park.html?intcmp=hpbt3

Yet another reminder that grizzly bears are what they are. Death by grizzly bear is very rare, but the potential is always there when people are around big bears.

Personally I do not think that grizzlies are really trying to kill people most of the time. The bears just explosively react, and the puny humans can not stand up to the punishment that the bear gives out. And we are not fast enough to get out of the way either.

So a violent reaction that would mean little to another bear might well be fatal to a human being.

Startling a grizzly is never a good idea! And no one would if they could avoid it.

I have found myself within 50 yards of a grizzly while elk hunting, and I had no way to know that bear was there before that point. Fortunately for me, the wind was blowing from the bear to me, so the bear never knew I was there.

I simply let him go on his way, while I quietly pondered my options and stood ready for whatever was going to happen. Luckily nothing happened at all! Big sigh of relief on my part!

More than once I have wondered what would have happened had the wind suddenly reversed, and the grizzly realized that a human was unexpectedly right behind him. Really glad that scenario did not play out.

Be careful out there.

WyoM70

Last edited by WyoM70; 06/29/16.