While moose hunting one time, I "called in" a brown bear.

Ok, he came out in the meadow some 60 yards away. Big one too- probably a 10 footer. Looked like 20.... since he had been messing around 50 yards behind me for almost an hour! Obviously he thought I was a bull, or he wouldn't have shown himself. Kinda puffed my chest as a moose caller.....Kinda tightened the sphincter, too. Obviously only one of us was hunting moose... I was the one with the .338WM.

I'd thought he was a cow moose- no antler sounds. Mutual mistake.

When I yelled at him at about 30 yards, he did a double take and hit the thick brush going away fast. Big V- through the 10' high second growth birch, an explosion of debris as he plowed through a big rotten deadfall, all of which I saw, then he stopped about 100 yards from me, huffing deep breaths, swinging his head from side to side ("Jesus! That was a HUMAN out there!")

He was right under my partner's 30 foot-high tree-stand, and he told me about it from his birds-eye vantage point. He'd seen it all! Paul busted out laughing out-loud, and then that bear totally freaked out! Last seen, he was just a blur going away.

The time a big sow brownie walked into me (same kind of deal), with 3 tiny, of-the-year cubs trailing behind her was interesting also....

And the time a couple year old cubs tried to make noseys with my Lab in my back yard. 20 feet from me to the dog, another 15 to the cubs, another 20 or so to the sow, who was definitely avoiding eye contact with me as she told her kids to get the hell back in the woods where they belonged. She was NOT happy with them!

We both knew if she did make eye contact with me, she would have to do something about it. And I'd have to whomp up on her with my garden trowel. We kinda backed around 180 degrees of building like that until I reached the door. At that point, the dog was on his own!

Bearanoi is way over-rated. And yes, I carry. A rifle or shotgun. Convenience can also be over-rated.

Last edited by las; 07/02/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.