Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I wouldn't go near a '73 action in .44 Magnum.

They make and sell gobs of them in .357 Mag whose chamber pressures are practically identical to those of the .44 Mag. So if it's safe in .357 why would it not be in .44?

I've run across a couple of these:

UBERTI 1873 CARBINE 19" 44 MAG

Uberti 1873 Carbine 19" .44 Mag Blue

Came REAL close to buying one, but a .44 Special came along instead.

Bolt thrust, for one thing. The same reason they don't make Contenders in .30/06, but they DO make Encores in even larger/more powerful cartridges.
For another reason, those toggle-link actions don't have the guts for powerful cartridges at all, or else Winchester would have enlarged them back in the day. Instead, they hooked up with JMB and had him design the '86 and '92s (and so on, and so on). Winchester KNEW the toggle design was weak.
As for what the Germans are doing, who gives a rip? They're not noted for good sense (attacking the West, AND the Soviet Union was not smart).

This is an OLD thread, but I was wondering if anyone has further thoughts on the viability of the more "modern" loads in a recent vintage 1873 clone.

It may be a moot point since almost everyone in cowboy action shooting seems to shoot .44 Specials in their .44 Magnum rifles and .38 Specials in their .357 Magnum rifles, anyway.

Or am I wrong?

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).