Originally Posted by Fireball2
While I am enjoying the general tone of the discussion and the direction it's headed, I'll +1 on the 130 Barnes. There's no downside for as few hunting bullets as a guy shoots in a year. Less recoil, more speed, great penetration. If you want to practice alot there are 125 Nosler ballistic tips 2nds or even lead slugs.

Steelie and I have been arguing the 130gr Barnes battle for years now. I don't care what he uses, I'm glad he has something that works for him and he's confident with. But I personally have no urge to use a long for weight bullet whose downrange ballistics don't do better than a 150gr. The one thing that Steelie doesn't do is change, so I'm sure this bantering will continue for years to come. My go to is the Partition, but I'm not dead set on it. Used a Hornady 150gr a couple years ago, deer took 2 steps and keeled over. Used a 165gr Ballistic Tip this last fall - deer don't go far when the bullet goes through the heart. The 300 Savage velocities are practically perfect for standard cup and core, it's not rocket science.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com