Originally Posted by patbrennan
I tried feeding empty 06 cases in my 308 and did notice the cases popping up to the extractor as Bob said. Funny in that the ones on the right side of the mag worked okay, the ones on the left side sometimes did not catch the extractor.

Pat you got it....I can't recall left or right side....too many years ago, but the case would fly off the rails up into the raceway in what I would describe as "too early", kind of hard to describe, but I had the impression that that it was just dumb luck that the extractor was able to grab the case rim at all. That was if I moved the bolt fast....if I moved it slow the effect was even more exaggerated.

The only thing I can think of is that the 308 case approaches the feed ramp at a slightly different angle than a 30/06 based case, because it's shorter (?)

I don't know....I'm no gunsmith. All I know is what I saw and after umpteen pre 64 M70's chambered 270/30-06 I knew something was not right.

But Clark does his own gunsmithing so he can barrel it up the way he wants and play with it. Maybe it will work for him.

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/08/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.