I've long admired the craftsmanship and lines of Gene's designs. As a guy that makes his living doing design/build work, for me Gene's stuff is top drawer. I've directed a lot of people to him for purchases, but have never pulled the trigger myself.

Anyway, I finally got around to making an order(#1DP, #30DP, #7DP, Jimbo) and found what, for me, is an ideal knife. His #1 Drop Point is nigh perfect. I look forward to taking apart an elk with it!

I took off his classy leather/antler thong and put on my own. I've long thought a blaze orange handle makes sense, having temporarily "lost" knives on numerous occasions while taking apart critter's. However, I can't warm to an orange handle, so my own solution is an orange thong.

Also, have to say what a fine gentleman Gene is. Perfect communication and service. If everyone ran their business like Gene the world would be a simpler place. I was in Starkville, MS last fall for the Alabama/ MS State game, but didn't have the time to drop in to see him... my loss.

A modern Americanized-Puukko...

His photo and mine:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery