Received Ruger's synthetic Scout stock for my .308 today. I hadn't seen a close-up of the bedding so I thought I'd share that.

The synthetic stock is supposed to drop the weight by 3/4 pound. I'll take Ruger's word for it as I don't have scales that will accurately weigh the stocks.

There is a noticeable and welcome difference in balance. With the laminate stock the rifle was heavier than I wanted and it seemed heavy in the butt. With the synthetic the weight is great (6.25 lbs per Ruger) and the balance point is right at the forward action screw.

I have to say I am very pleased with the stock in general. It is stiff and the barrel free floats back to the chamber area. The lighter stock will increase recoil a bit, calculated at about 2 additional ft-lbs, to ~19.5 with both my 130g and 150g loads. I've already worked the trigger to my delight so the rifle is now what I had hoped for - a light, handy rifle with .308 power and iron sights I can actually use. Awesome!

Front bedding block:
[Linked Image]

Rear bedding pillar:
[Linked Image]

Now I'm thinking about a Silencerco brake that has been shown in one test to reduce recoil by over 70% and allows for me to mount a Silencerco can in the future, which I plan to do. If the brake does reduce recoil by 70+%, recoil will be just under 6 ft-lbs. Might be more than worth the extra noise.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.