Originally Posted by Augie
Thank you all for the input, much appreciated.

Shrapnel, that is a beauty, they do look so right with the vintage scopes. I've got a couple old PermaCenter 20x scopes, may put one on this rifle if it does well with the 6x.

I'm going to get it to the range tomorrow, hoping for the best. If it shoots well it might present a dilemma. I believe in leaving vintage guns alone if original but this one has such nice wood hiding under the old peeling finish I might be tempted to refinish the stock and have the bottom metal reblued.

What do you all think?

[Linked Image]

I don't think it looks that bad as it is. You can refinish a gun a dozen times, but it is only original once. I always bought whatever I could live with, and if that wasn't as good as I truly wanted, use it until I found the one that is in better shape, sell mine and buy the other one.

Too many guys "Bubba" these old guns up and then they are not original any more. There are no more pre-64 model 70's being made, so it is best to keep it original, someone else will always be glad to step into a gun like yours and be happy with it.

Shoot it and enjoy the gun, that is what it was made to do...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]