Originally Posted by Certifiable
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by 1minute

No.
I was told to never clean the barrel by a national champion 30 years ago

If I was into competitive shooting, that's exactly what I'd tell everyone up and down the line and I would not wink either.

If I lived in a humid region, I'd probably do more than just my regular annual scrub.

I was a junior shooter,not even competing in the same division.He was actually telling me what he practiced. That was fairly standard target shooting procedure in those days. I have no idea what the standard is today. I can tell you for certain though when using lubed SV target ammo if you clean your barrel it will be at least 50 rounds before it will be back to it's best performance level before you cleaned it.

RH..many people say you need to fire half a dozen or so to "re-acclimate" the bore before best accuracy but, like you, I have found far more than that are needed before it settles back down..
And it took me a fair amount of head scratching and doubting before I quit with the 5-10 and didn't bother with groups till 30-50...

Yes sir. I think the varying amount of 5-10 or 10-20 advice is likely to come from shooters using sporting rifles. When we are talking match grade rifles it is easier to notice very small increments of accuracy.