Originally Posted by crossfireoops
It won't dissolve any fuel line on a boat or car made in the last 30 years, they've long ago changed the rubber formulations to be resistant to ethanol. Same thing with fiberglass resin, if ethanol is dissolving it you've got a really old boat or the resin wasn't properly catalyzed. Ethanol shouldn't affect it.

That does NOT jibe with my own experience,... or many others here.

I've had a lot of problems with ethanol in small engines also. There's also a big problem with ethanol in gasoline that the EPA is aware of and doesn't tell us consumers about. The auto makers are very aware of it and will void your engine and fuel system warranty if they find too much ethanol in your fuel system. The problem is called "Phase Separation". When the ethanol in gasoline combines with enough water to reach the saturation point the ethanol/water mixture sinks to the bottom of the tank. Since pump pickups are on the bottom of the fuel storage tanks you have no idea how much ethanol/water you're actually getting when you fill up. Ethanol is used to raise the octane of gasoline so since the fuel tank will pick up the ethanol/water mixture first you'll be left with low octane gasoline which damage your engine with pre-ignition and detonation. The auto maker are well aware of this problem. A lot of today's gasoline engines run pretty high compression ratios to improve gas mileage. My friends direct injection Chevy pickup has an 11.5 to 1 compression ratio.

http://fuelschool.blogspot.com/2009/02/phase-separation-in-ethanol-blended.html

Last edited by victoro; 07/27/16.