I've got a similar problem with a 3 yr old heeler.
She jumped out of a moving truck when she was about 1 yr, tore up something in a shoulder. Have had trouble with her re-injuring it since then.

I took all of her balls away permanently. No more frisbee. If we play fetch at all now it is retrieving a duck dummy from water.

I've had good results with aspirin for chronic pain in dogs but would not use it in this instance because I want her to feel the pain and not try to play through it. (I would consider an anti-inflammatory if possible).

Vet fitted her with a neoprene harness that restricts movement but still allows her to walk. The harness cost me $400 but is nothing so complex that you couldn't look at canine prosthetic devices and get some ideas for things you could do.

I've had success but it's like injuries we all get and then re-injure time and again.

Since it is a hind leg I'd be building ramps wherever possible. No jumping into trucks or boats. Avoid stairs. Remove any temptations to chase stuff.

edited to add -
Dog bone can be cheap entertainment. The last episode we had with our dog re-injuring herself the dog was unhappy being restricted. When we see her getting wound-up, bouncing, we'll toss her a bone and that buys some extra time.

Lot of 3 legged dogs out there seem to have good lives. A little lame is not insurmountable.

Hope you can work through it.

Last edited by Alamosa; 07/27/16.