You have lived in the Bush long enough to realize how pricy everything really is....

I had a very conservative hunting client a few years back (he is a member of the Fire) who was griping about the cost of the the pilot -about $800 an hour for the 206.

I spent a few mins. explaining how everything that arrived in Kotz arrived in via a badge 2x a year on in a jet. Then I spent a little more time explaining that the village planes (Bering Air) had a bag of mail or boxes of By Pass mail in the belly pod and that provided a subsidy to support the high cost of transportation. Finished up be explaining everything that in Kotzebue was subsided by the Feds or State in some fashion including the toilet he would most likely going to use on this Trip. Thanks Uncle Ted...

Without subsidies living in Bush Alaska would make it way to costly for almost all of...

Those of us who live in Alaska forget how dependent we all are on the government for our daily existence. We like to pretend that we are very conservative in Alaska but the bottom line Uncle Sam (Ted, Lisa, Dan and the military) make it possible.

Next time you fly into Kivalina, or many other villages be thankful you not the one carrying that Honey Bucket to the lagoon.