Bumping this thread from three years ago to give a long term review on the Lowa Cevedale GTX. At the time of my original post, Lathrop debuted the Tech Lite-Hunter. Sierra Trading Post was closing out the Cevedale GTX at a low price + a coupon code made them $167 shipped to my door. After three years of backpack hunts, here is my take on the boots:

Uses: These are my back pack hunting boots for Colorado. My group of elk hunters tackle the steep San Juan mountain range. Our hunts are the traditional backpack hunt: Go in light, find elk, come out heavy (hopefully). In the three years I've had the boots I've packed out 2 elk, none with my tag on them. Maybe this year will be my chance smile I don't know how many miles I've covered, but nearly all of them are up, down or side hilling. Not many flat spots in the areas of the San Juan where we hunt.

Break In: These are stiff boots. Obviously. They are crampon ready, mountaineering boots. These are far from today's trend of lighter, more nimble footwear for backpack hunts. At 3.5 pounds, I don't find the weight to be cumbersome. It took me three months to feel like I broke the boot to mold to my ankle and foot and lose the "ski boot" feeling. I did wonder if I bought too much, too stiff of a boot. More on that...

Comfort : These boots taught me a lesson: I like stiff boots. The Cevedale allow some movement of my ankle, but not too much. Some movement of my foot, but no sliding. I can customize the fit by locking the laces tighter, or letting them be a bit looser. The upper boot is comfortable, like a well worn running shoe, but the support form the boot base remains stout and confident.

Durability : I don't hike in them every month. Most spring and summer they stay in the closet. But fall and winter they get a workout. The boots will give me many more years of use.

Would I buy them again?: At $167, heck yes I would buy them again. However, when these wear out or blow out or I just want to try something else, I will look for a slightly less stiff boot. I like the stiffness for the mountains, but its no all-around shoe. I like knowing I can side hill, hop deadfall, and work swiftly through rock without a worry about my feet. I have never once had a blister or hot spot. That confidence plus performance in the nasty steep stuff makes them a winner for me, for now. Lowa boots also just fit my feet really well, so these might have made me a Lowa fan for life.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]