Hey guys, you know me I love my pre 64 model 70's. This brings up the question of which ones I'd hold on to forever and which ones I'd give up to go to a better home. I'm curious as to which ones you'd hang on to and never get rid of, if that's something you do. This question isn't for the ones that hang on to every rifle they have ever had. But more for the ones that trade and sell on occasion like I've been know to do... Here's my list along with some pictures and reasons I would hang on to them or get rid of them:

First one up front and center. I would never get rid of my 30-06 fwt. I've said this on numerous occasions, this rifle has kicked many a damn good 30-06 rifle out of the safe, and for good reason:

[Linked Image]

Next one up is my 338 win mag. Almost since I started elk hunting back in the mid 90's, I've had a 338 win mag. My first elk fell to the mighty cartridge and it made a believer out of me. Also most guys around here think it's not an elk rifle, unless it has "338 Winchester magnum" stamped on the barrel.. laugh. This one is cool because it holds 4 in the magazine, weighs in at 8 pounds on the nose and balances and packs wonderfully. The ergo's of the Brown pounder really help to mitigate recoil too.
[Linked Image]

Now here are the ones I will probably end up sending down the road eventually:

375 H&H. Beautiful rifle in every regard. I packed it for 4 days during last years elk hunt. It handled very well for a heavy rifle. I like the balance and is perfect for carrying for a big heavy rifle. If I were going to Africa, this is the one I'd take. Realistically, I'll never go to Africa, so this one is far too powerful for anything in north America with the exception of big bears in Alaska. The 375 H&H is something I wanted for a long time, because it is iconic and has mucho cool factor. However, the cold hard truth of the matter is I don't need anything this large/powerful for hunting around here. The rifle is damned accurate and I can always count on it to nail the orange dot on the first shot. Something I've come to expect from this rifle. No one has dibbs on it yet, however I believe powder (or maybe someone else here) loves the stock laugh. Which, by the way, is the oldstle "coyote bomber". :
[Linked Image]

Second on the list of not needed:
Bobin is going to be mad, but I have no sentimental attachment to the 270 Winchester cartridge. I've tried it and really like it. It's probably the cleanest pre 64 model 70 I've had in my hands. Besides the new in the box 270 fwt that I could have bought at the same time I bought this one, but passed. Even though it was only $350.00 more at the time... This one was said to be, "my most accurate 270 Winchester", by my friend that I bought it from. It does indeed shoot very well and as it stands, is the best handling Winchester model 70 I own. I love the McMillan hunters compact stock. The rifle weighs in at around 7 1/2 pounds as it sits now, maybe a tad less. I need to re-weigh it with the lighter K4. This rifle rocks, but do I really need it when I have a 30-06? You know the love hate relationship between those 2 cartridges laugh. Gunnut308 has dibbs on this one:
[Linked Image]

Now that you guys know how I really feel, what is your take on what you can live without? Thanks fellow Winchester loons... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA