Killing with any decent rifle is never really the correct question on this topic whenever I see it.

It's finding the bear after the shot, and the associated tracking that comes with it. Bears are probably the worst bleeders of all big game when shot with a sub 30 caliber bullet.

Sure plenty have poured out blood shot with small calibers, but over all they are usually a problem for getting blood to the ground. Without an exit wound all you have is that little bore diameter entry hole. With long hair and plenty of fat, a hole will close up and your now looking for an animal with all the tools to ruin your day, and no evidence to speak of knowing where it went. Those big soft feet leave nothing in the way of tracks in the forest either.

When shot a great distance away, it's even difficult to find the location of the impact point at times. Now what? I have heard way too many times from the guys involved that they " must have missed" because there is just no blood. I say they absolutely hit the bear and contemplated the next steps as not really fun any more.

Wounded, or missing bears tend to change the outlook of recreational sport hunters much quicker then a deer, elk, antelope, etc.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)