hanco,

As I recall, Berger recommends a muzzle velocity of no more than 3200 fps with their hunting bullets. Dunno what velocity your .300 is getting but suspect it's more than that.

There's no reason to push them even that fast, as one of the other advantages of using Bergers is their very high ballistic coefficients. I've seen a bunch of animals shot with 185 VLD's from a couple of .300 Winchester Magnums at muzzle velocity around 3100 fps, from well under 100 yards to over 500 yards, and there was no problem with penetrating shoulders close up or expansion far out.

All bullets work best within a certain velocity range. Monolithics work best at higher muzzle velocities (I've used them up to 4300 fps) but may not expand much or at all at lower impact velocities where Bergers expand nicely. (Aside from construction, the other reason Bergers expand well at long range is they retain more velocity due to higher BC's.) It's still important to select the right bullet for the cartrdge/velocity.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck