Every once in a while we get to do something in our hunting trips that will stick with us for all our lives. This hunt happened to be one of those hunts.

My two close friends, Ole Olsen and Neil Severinson, made this such a special time. Ole, a Korean War Vet who lost his brother in that war, and Neil, a Vietnam Vet, are two guys I normally shared duck blinds with. They can cut it up with the best of them, constantly haggling the other as if they were cast for the roles in Grumpy Old Men. This time, it was the cottonwood bottoms of Central Montana.

I happened to be driving by Ole's house one afternoon and stopped in unannounced to see how his 82 year-old legs were doing. I asked if he wanted to go deer hunting. In classic Ole fashion he replied, "Sport (he always calls me Sport) I shot what will be my last deer, a while back."

I called Neil and told him that I wanted to get Ole out for one more deer hunt. Neil, being as good of a friend as you could ever ask for, volunteered to assist.

I told Neil the plan. I had called a great guy who I know allows some hunting on his place. The guy is a close CPA client. He told me to get Ole and Neil over to the ranch and fill some tags. He told me to come over a day early and set up some brush blinds so Ole could hunt the tight funnel in the creek bottom.

With that plan, I went about building a blind in the best spot I could find for shooting and filming. Neil brought Ole over to the ranch and we had two days that will cause me to smile until my final breath.

Ole had never been on camera before, so when the camera guy told him to "wait," Ole was having no part of it. That buck represented winter meat and Ole wasn't keen on letting him get away. Oh well, TV footage is overrated.

You can watch the hunt at this link - https://youtu.be/Qi5IhlJJNiM

[Linked Image]

YouTube Episode Here

I won't tell all the details, rather let you watch. I suspect when it is over, you will understand why I titled the thread as I have. Unfortunately, since this episode was filmed, Ole has lost his faculties. I stop by to see him and he has no clue who I am.

When the fickle winds of good health leave our friends, it is times afield or on the water that always bring the biggest smiles to my face. Thanks Ole. Thanks Neil. Good friends such as you are true treasures.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."