Originally Posted by MOGC
And they are... mostly. Occasionally I find an insert that needs replaced or a head that is dull feeling. ...Do any of you sharpen the head and/or inserts on broadheads like this?

I inspect every broadhead before I use it, generally right out of the package, usually before each hunt, and as often I think I need to during the season.

I had two packs of Rage CoC broadheads come with the contact blade stamped, but not sharpened. Might have penetrated, might have not, but it sure wasn't going cut anywhere near as well as it should have.

I haven't had any concerns with Slick Tricks coming sharp out of the package, but I still check every one. I have run a couple blades over an Arkansas fine stone that dulled from "quiver wear".

I used G-5 Montec for a while, tried their diamond stone, and ended up on a Cabelas diamond stone that was quite a bit larger. I like shaving sharp, but I agree that a good shot placement is going to be effective with "just sharp".

I hit a yearling last Fall with a Rage, did cut the heart loose, and she went 60-70 yards leaving a trail that was graphic and large for the size of the deer. Really surprising how far some will make it with no oxygen in the system.

Last edited by AH64guy; 08/18/16.