Originally Posted by taylorce1
I called about a Shaw Rifle back around 2007-8, as I have no issues with them using a Savage action. The price was right as far as I was concerned, but the problem I had is they wanted 100% payment upfront with an 18 month lead time to build the rifle. I was willing to do a deposit and pay the rest upon completion, but ER Shaw said that wasn't an option. So I passed on the rifle, and haven't really looked at them again.

I know what you mean. When I order custom barrels some want the money up front. The second to last one cost a bit over $700 with all the options I ordered, so I whipped out the magic plastic flying card to happiness and prepaid the order. Seven months later, it arrived.

I just ordered two Hart barrels in a custom configuration that absolutely no one else would want, and they charged a $240.00 deposit on each, no problem, unless I croak before they get here.

The thing is these folks are leery of the gee wiz factor, a guy orders a custom rifle then looses interest during the lead time and wants to cancel. A friend of mine, a true rifle loony, ordered a special custom stock from Lee Six, then forgot about it, Lee passed away in 2009 and my friend was lucky to get the barreled action back. Things happen, and the loss a old friend makes it worse.