Good advice from everyone so far.....the only things I would like to add are:

1.) if you're not in shape, do your best to get in shape prior to going. Talk to your physician about a weight loss program (if necessary), start walking, etc. You really don't want to loose out on a good trophy because it walked over a hill and you just didn't have the physical ability to go after it. I lost 25lbs prior to going, and it made all the difference in the world when we were climbing hills and my PH spotted that kudu on a distant hillside!

2.) taxidermy: I have my own personal feelings on this, but all I will say (or suggest) is that the cost of taxidermy can get WAY out of hand rather quickly....not only with mounts, but dip/pack, govt. paperwork, shipping, etc. I decided that I would have 2 shoulder mounts (the species I most wanted to take) and the rest would be skull mounts. One of the other fellows I hunted with had all shoulder mounts done, and the cost of the taxidermy quickly surpassed what he paid for his safari!!!

3.) Tips: While tipping is a personal matter, it is generally regarded that is should be done if you had a good time....and everyone gets a tip: the maids, the cooks, the trackers, the PH. etc. There are guidelines elsewhere for this, so I won't go into it in detail (consider it your "home work":)), but it's also nice to take some items to leave: Lifesaver candies, hard candies (South Africans all seem to have a big sweet tooth), tick repellant, first aid supplies, etc. I left my binocular straps for one of the assistant PHs because his was falling apart; and he greatly appreciated it. We take for granted all the access we have to gear and such, but they don't have the stores, Cabelas, etc. that we have here in the States that they do in S.A. HOWEVER!!!!! please note that leaving items behind is not the same as leaving a tip!!!
I've heard people say "Well, I left my shooting sticks behind...that was his tip"......to me, what that says is "I'm a cheap-ass SOB"......but that's just my opinion.
Congrats on your upcoming trip..........I'm jealous!

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"