Im looking for some experienced info on a little question i have been wondering about.

I have a side business of buying cars and flipping them. Something i do with a buddy and have for about a year. It started finding cars or what not that needed a transmission or something and just picking them up and fixing them.

Over the last year we have upgraded to a fairly large operation. I own a 34 foot gooseneck and Dodge cummins that i have been using to go on weekend road trips around MT and picking up some cars that we lined out. I have not had any run ins with the law or anything close and its been going smooth.

Last week my father in law bought a bob cat for our ranch and drove all the way down to Georgia to pick it up. He ended up taking his one ton ford and my 20ft bumper pull car hualer. Somewhere in the mid west, i think Kentucky, he got pulled over and the troopers made a huge deal out of it. No tickets were issued or anything. But it was a three hour goat rope. The made him drive to a weight station, even though he was empty at this time, weight in, and do all the math.

Then all three guys with him got questions separately about needing log books and the nature of the trip. Then they all got told that they needed CDL's and the whole nine yards. Now, in the states defense the truck was registered to the farm and technically was a company rig.....

So what is the requirements for needing to get all the related involved with a CDL? Nothing says that i cant haul a car on my trailer across the US. But im sure if i stack two or three on there and hit the road, Its not looking much like a personnel trip, and more like a commercial hauler.

I know that if you are over 26000 pounds in MT you have to have a CDL and if yo u run air brakes, you have to. I run about 24-26 im sure pretty consistently and know that is close, and i dont have air.

Anyone have experience in this grey area?

Last edited by twintips16; 08/23/16.