My all time favorite day pack for hunting was a Fieldline. I plumb wore it out, even patched it a few times. They quit making that model, of course, by the time I wanted another one. I have several day packs, all more expensive and none of them as well designed, though some have better materials in them.

I bought another Fieldline a few years ago as close to the original pack as they now make. Mixed bag. Capacity is good, close to 3K with one large main sack (my ideal size for a daypack because I can hunt with it half empty but carry a good load of meat my first trip out). The new one is designed for looks to sell rather than utility, with a streamlined look and smooth outer shape that make pocket openings too tight to access easily when the pack is full. Also, the top handle strap came loose within 15 minutes of my first use. I use it as my lion calling pack with e-caller and stand gear in it, but don't carry it for deer hunting, moose etc. No others zippers or seams have failed after one side of the top strap came loose.

A summit pack of about 3000 cu. in. is close to my ideal, part way between a full size pack and a daypack and usually with one main roomy center space.

A few preferences of mine if any pack makers are reading.

1. If you are going to put a pocket on the side or back, make it run the full width and vertical length of the main pack bag. Anything less is a waste of space. If you widen the pack girth to brush on limbs, then use all of that greater width possible up and down. Two pockets one above the other is OK but use all of the space.

2. Make sure pocket bellows include zipper freedom and easy pocket opening when the pack or pocket is crammed full.

3. If you insist on cutting up pack space into cutesy little pockets, then offer a wide open big bag version or option with a few big pockets around one big cavity.

Last edited by Okanagan; 08/28/16.