I was hurting all over again for a .44 rifle and looked at a lot of stuff, but for once I held out for what I really wanted and eventually picked up a NIB Browning Low Wall. Paid a bit for it, but there was no "ground shrink" when I got it in my hands; it's just about perfect. I've been playing with sight options a bit and just installed a black blade front sight from Skinner Sights. It's going to take a bit of tinkering, but I hope to find a compromise height that will let me shoot light lead-bullet loads for practice and fun, and then adjust the rear for full-power jacketed hunting loads. The light loads, similar to light loads in a long-barreled single action, land very high. I was also having a tough time getting a good sight picture with the brass bead, but the flat-topped, serrated Skinner looks great.

I'm also working on a barrel mount for a lightweight reflex red dot, using the sight dovetail and a slip-in base originally designed for a globe sight. No holes will be drilled in the rifle itself, only the base.

What fresh Hell is this?