I have a mid-1970's Anschutz 54 Match rifle that doesn't perform as well as I feel that it should. I've tried all brands of ammo (Wolf Match Extra, Eley Club, Geco Rifle, Lapua Center-X, Norma Match-22 , RWS Target Rifle, Federal Target, CCI Standard Velocity, Winchester T-22, etc.). When a different type of ammo was tried, I shot a minimum of 20 rounds of that brand before the testing commenced. I wiped the bore with Hoppes No. 9 and a proper patch before the testing started. No wire brush or a JB Bore stuff has been used.

At 50 yards, with a proven Unertl 20x scope, a 5-shot group would do maybe 1" at best. What is the norm was 2 or 3 better than that (1/2" or so) with a couple fliers. Using Anschutz iron target sights at 50 feet showed similar inconsistencies.

The rifle has a factory barrel that has an enlarged terminal end that has a connector ring that you can feel when running a patch through it.

I'm wondering if it's the ammo; carbon buildup near the chamber or enlarged end connection, or maybe something else. Maybe a barrel tuner would help?

As fate would have it, I have a friend who is experiencing a similar problem.

I've always experienced excellent accuracy form Anschutz rifles.

Any experienced thoughts or ideas to help solve the problem would be appreciated.