Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
fwiw,
They are making the 6.5 Creedmoor into a MODERN .45-70 Government...

You'll have to check your bolt, firing pin, and ammunition before you find out if it is safe to shoot. Granted it took a 130 years to for the 45-70 to develop the same necessity for having three separate sections in most reloading manuals. It is kind of ironic that Hornady attempted to fix THAT problem with the .450 Marlin.

Who would have thought their run away hit would have been shot in the foot by progress...

Wonder if we'll see a belted Creedmoor... This is getting funny.

Full speed ahead...

Regards, Matt.

I don't really understand this comparison at all. The Creedmoor and the introduction of Lapua brass w/ small primer pockets is nothing like the .45-70 Gov. There are not going to be three sections in any loading manual.

I get the argument about the small primer potentially being a negative for a cold weather hunting cartridge. But the Creedmoor itself is pretty standardized. Also, if you don't like the small primer the only thing you need to do is not use the Lapua brass. It's really easy to get Hornady and Nosler in the standard config. Or you could take Lapua 308 w/ large pocket and reform it if you must have Lapua.

This is the cartridge I have by far my most experience with. I'm more often on the CM forum than here. There is a long standing thread about converting Lapua brass that is very informative. Easy process. What a lot of guys were doing was purposely selecting the 308 Palma for the parent cartridge, I'm guessing that those are the same guys that put the bug in Lapua's bonnet enough that they started making this brass in the first place...and prior to this the long standing belief was Lapua would NEVER make Creedmoor brass.

Most of the load workups are near identical to the large primer versions. Lots of guys find little difference in performance often difficult to even differentiate SD/ES. There will not need to be a separate section in the loading manual for this cartridge.

Just another offering. Perhaps more useful in a specific application but hardly going to be the death nail of the Creedmoor.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.