People stringing recurves have been hurt pretty badly.
I blew an 82# PSE Mach 4 riser in half right at the shot, cables whapped my arm good, welts and some blood. Went to shop, swapped in a new riser, cables and string OK............was checking pins in a couple of hrs..........right on the money, no adjustment............to 60 yards.

Older compounds had double tear drops on their cables so one could swap a string afield, if it didn't blow.

FWIW they make small portable bow presses. Buddy blew a string off one side of a double tear drop cable.......65# Martin with the big Energy cams. We backed the limbs out and one guy muscled the bow while the other hooked up the string.

No press. Was not easy or fun. But we did it.

You can back off an Oneida to pop a string all the way off, and put another back on. No press needed.

Done it.

Newer stuff might be more of a pain.

Compound speed is nothing to sneeze at. The longer it takes your arrow to get there, the more chance of the critter moving. Speed also lessens the need for exact yardage. And speed is somewhat a measure of energy.

I shoot carbons in my recurves, paper tune shows perfect spine. But to get that I had to add weight to my inserts, which gives me higher FOC.

That and the durability...........I am sold on carbons in my recurves. The only problem is playing the spine game, finding what works. Carbon tune charts are crap, as is much of the ramblings on trad sites......how those folks get the crap they suggest, to fly worth a damn..........I dunno.

But yrs ago at Nationals I saw 4 ft gaps, 10 ft from the stake, saplings chewed up on either side of the gap.

Some people shoot absolute crap and think it superior because it's wood or whatever.

Not only do many have terrible arrow flight, they also can't hit crap.

Of course, many do that with wheels. Do think sighting systems and letoff to be a help to many though.

I like 'em myself.