Originally Posted by kennyd
What kind of a kit should I look for? A lot of the ones I find listed have lots of aspirin, ouchie size bandaids, but not things like blood clotter, tourniquet, or even a sling.

I am not trained, so that comes into consideration, too.

My thoughts are severe high altitude problems, falling off a cliff, cutting open a leg with an axe, orgunshot.

Any suggestions on what to buy to put together myself? Thanks

The basic kits are just that, pretty basic. For the life threatening issues you listed I would look at the first aid kits that are marketed for military or LE. They have tourniquets and dressings to (hopefully)stop the bleeding from a more serious wound like a cut from an axe/knife, or a gunshot wound. These require some training to use, however, as a tourniquet can make a bad situation worse if not used properly. These kits are usually spendy, but you can use them for an item list and get the items by yourself for a lot less.

How to treat a fall depends on several factors, the most important being whether or not the spinal column is compromised. Knowing how to properly move a person in that case is critical.

Also, having a form of communication to get help is vital. Should a life threatening accident happen, the goal should be to deliver a breathing, non hemorrhaging person to a professional health care setting ASAP. Being able to get Life Flight, Paramedics or a Search and Rescue team to your position quickly can be the difference in life or death.