So last week I successfully tagged an average 130lb (dressed) New England black bear. The shot that was given to me for a split second was one with the bear slowly walking away around 80 yards looking back at me in the wind carrying my scent despite the cover/attractant scents I was using to combat this situation. I instinctivively shot to drop the bear in its tracks by lodging a 150gr Barnes TTSX in a Kimber Adirondack .308 between its shoulder blades, essentially leaving him immobile and dead in his tracks. However, the shot freehand pulled left 2-4" outside the intended area and punched a clean hole through his left lung leaving me tracking him for a good 1/8th mile through the thickest, muckiest terrain I've ever experienced, in the rain, all after the well known death moan 30 seconds after the shot.

I was surprised how little damage the round made in this circumstance, however I'm asking you all if I used the correct bullet choice, or should I opt for something different for this species?