Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Greyghost
California over the last 10 years or so, has been going through an expedited replacement program for their power poles... I've done a bunch my self over the last decade.

Most of these replaced power poles that by the way are still in use date back to between the 1930's to the 50's.

Check with your local power company, they'll usually let you come in and cut the old poles into sections and haul them off for nothing.

Phil

With all due respect, nobody in America gives-a-chit enna more what Californians do in regards to policy.

We also made a deal on about ten miles of abandoned power line poles that crossed the ranch once. The good treated end that we wanted most was on the bottom still in the ground though. But these were nice and big and more suited to some heavy duty corral posts than fence posts -- my dad thought he hit a gold mine at first since he got them for nothing and they were already cured and at home. They are set deep too. He started inventing contraptions to pull them out with -- we had a John Deer crawler and a Farm All loader. the Farm All wasn't big enough to pull 'em and the crawler had the power but pulled sideways not up. I remember him spending most of a week building this big "A" frame out of I beams, but it collapsed on the first pole. After a couple more attempts at beefing it up with the same result (well I think we did manage to get three or four poles out along the way, he said, "Hell with it" and we got the rest with a chainsaw treating what we cut off and leaving the best part in the ground.

[Linked Image]