I was fortunate to hunt with my friend CFVA this year, he drove out for the muzzleloader season. It was a fun hunt and it was great to have him in camp but I do have to tell a story on him.

Opening morning we climbed up to a spot where I'd had some luck in the past. He had a cow tag and I had an either sex tag. We were't hearing any bugles and the forecast was for rain the next several days. Plus my freezer had no elk meat since I didn't hunt elk last year. So I'd made up my mind that if I got an easy shot on a cow I'd take it; I love elk meat.

It was around 8:30 and we'd been walking since dawn so we stopped to eat a snack and take a break. After a few minutes, he got up to take a leak, and walked about 20 yards away from where we'd been sitting. Next thing I know he's got his binoculars up and mouthing the word "elk;" a small herd was milling around a bit over a hundred yards away in some timber, getting ready to bed down.

They were on a rise and the area between us was open so we couldn't sneak in. We waited to see if they'd move and offer a better shot but they stayed put. So he got set up prone behind a log and used it for a rest, he had a long-ish shot for an open sighted muzzleloader, well over a hundred yards.

I couldn't see elk from where I was but I got ready in case his shot flushed them out where I could see them. At the shot a big cow ran straight at us; later he said he thought she might run him over. She pulled up about 25 yards short and turned broadside, so I had my easy shot. His elk dropped on the spot and mine ran about 75 yards. Our hunt was over by 8:45 and we got to work on the elk. Both were nice big fat cows, and mine was the biggest cow I'd seen killed.

We were talking later and realized that if he hadn't gotten up and walked a few yards to take a leak, we may have moved on and never seen those elk. So here's the whole point of this story: sometimes, it pays to stand around with your d*ck in your hand.

Backstrap:

[Linked Image]

A wise man is frequently humbled.